Sunday, May 9, 2010

Kevin Rips: Calvin Johnson - We Wil Bury You

AB: Actual name of this record: "We Will Bury You: female new wave/punk 1977-1982" (Wouldn't fit in the title bar)

"Make no mistake. There was a difference..."

Since I've kind of become known as a tape guy, I figured it would be fitting to get some of the best tapes out of my collection and share them with everyone.

On my trip to Washington to see Tubers, we ended up in Olympia. I had known about the Calvin Johnson mixtapes prior, so I was determined to track them down. Luckily, my pal and I had the most wonderful tour guides and we ended up hitting every record store in Olympia. Thus, we managed to track down the one place that had the tapes available. I bought a few of the mixtapes, but this one is easily the best. Both my pal and I had ipods absolutely full of jams, but on the trek back to Alberta, the only thing that got played was this tape. It pretty much got us through a really gnarly snowstorm around Golden.

Calvin Johnson, well known indie rock super-star (Beat Happening namely) and founder of likely the most important US indie label next to Dischord (K Records), apparently has one really great record collection. This tape is certainly proof of that. "We Will Bury You" collects mostly rarer and unknown songs or versions of forgotten all-female (or at least female fronted) punk or new wave bands. There really is an embarrassment of riches here. I can't believe no one had shown me any of these songs before! Highlights include the amazing horns on the 45 only Raincoats jam "Running Away", and the earlier version of the Bonnie Hayes jam "Shelly's Boyfriend" as the band The Punts - which is basically GoGos but way awesomer. But I still think the jam is the Jane Aire & the Belvedere's song "Yankee Wheels", which is played slightly faster on this tape, but definitely caused me to rewind the thing over and over... and then ebay all their 45s. Though lately, I've been rewinding that Moroccos song quitre a bit. Probably the only low-light amazginly comes from the only band I was aware of previously: The Slits. If you want to inspire some ladies to pick up instruments, I think this tape should really do the trick! Any sexist remark pertaining to their ability to attain songwriting jam awesomeness will be silenced but this tape.

Kind of unfitting to most of the stuff we've put up on GGS, but I really want to share it with everyone (considering mail-ordering them is insanely expensive - and you know I know what it costs to release a tape). And considering it's the best thing ever. Shout out to my room-mate for actually ripping the thing and doing such a mighty fine job. Pick up those instruments, ladies - write those jams!
~AB

No comments:

Post a Comment