Wednesday, June 9, 2010

CLASSICS: The Plan - Only These Movements Remain

Music is history. I think people don't think about that as much as they should when listening to an album. Those soundwaves recorded to magnetic tape or etched into vinyl are a documentation of a small bit of history. It's somewhat strange to think of it in that way...does this record have any impact on me besides the emotional response I have to it at this moment? In reality, probably not. But in another way, I'm inexplicably linked to it as part of this sub-culture or movement.

The reason I mention this is because The Plan is made up of members of one of my favorite bands, North of America. Hearing this is like hearing a piece of North of America history. Although I had never heard this album, the minute it started playing I felt it have an incredible impact on me. If this record had not existed, would North of America have existed? And if North of America had not existed, what would the music I listen to now sound like? Maybe that's placing too much importance on this SINGLE record, but it's definitely interesting to look at music as an integral but minuscule piece of an overwhelmingly large structure.

I guess should also mention that this album is really really good.
~AB

1 comment:

  1. Fuck yeah. Sweet. Love The Holy Shroud, I can tell this will be great. Thanks for the DL link as well.

    ReplyDelete