Wednesday, November 10, 2010

All Through A Life - Cities Become Ideals 7"

There's something so beautiful about purchasing a record with no idea of how it will sound. I've sort of waxed poetic about this in the past, but it still makes me so happy every time it happens. I picked this up off Damages' merch table as they shared members. The pastel soft colors and intricate design of the artwork is starkly contrasted next to Damages bold, black and white aesthetic, and you can't help picking up the 7" and inspecting it. It's on insanely heavy vinyl, and the color is this amazing translucent minty green. So basically, I'm trying to say that I was sold on the packaging before I even heard the tunes. Bought it, listened to it, loved it.

Not unlike Damages, All Through A Life is heavily influenced by DC/Dischord Hardcore and mid 90's emo records on Ebullition. The vocals are intense, a mix of desperate shouting and rambled spoken word. The instruments incredibly tight and complex, pummeling you for just under 10 minutes. This is definitely one of the better emo records to come out of Canada and definitely worth adding to your collection. Physical copies are a must of this record, I cannot stress enough how beautiful it is. Buy it!
~AB

5 comments:

  1. Love this record!!! Which are you digging more, this or damages???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Damages... But I gotta give it to this album for me. Way more my style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete