Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kevin Rips: The Marato - Dirty Stories

"I'm free when I dance, so let's dance! Motherfuckin' dance!"

A long-time totheteeth/tothehilt tour favourite, The Marato's one and only EP "Dirty Stories" released by the still largely unappreciated (as a label, at least) Blue Skies Turn Black - and yet, after all this time, a very much under-appreciated and unheralded recording. But that's what I am about to do - HARKEN ALL! The Marato were amazing. The Marato hailed from Montreal, and produced some of the finest dancey post-punk/post-hardcore I've ever heard. I dug this EP out again recently, and was flooded with fond memories of singing along to these songs driving into sunsets on the way to Saskatoon.

I would liken them to a significantly superior Despistado, and I would guess they've listened to their fair share of Wooden Stars or early North of America back in the day. I feel as though one could draw a direct line from The Marato to bands like Whiskey Priest and Hey Predator! - That would give you some impression of what we're dealing with, but it certainly doesn't do certain justice to the jams. 6 songs, and each and everyone is mixtape worthy (and has likely ended up on many a mixtape from myself). The guitars noodle around each other in the most unlikely ways, while the rhythm keeps things solid and upbeat.Though the songs are rather mathy and obtuse, the hooks are profound, and the impression it leaves is lasting. Perhaps, I'm not doing justice to this recording. Let me just say that this record meant a great deal to me at one point, and even after near decade after its release, it still holds up.

Still available for a most reasonable price right here.
~KS

No comments:

Post a Comment