Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Play Guitar - Shields/Don't Worry About Death 12"

I can't explain Play Guitar very well...much like I can't explain most records. What I'll tell you is when I listen to this 12" I can vividly remember the smell of the library my Dad used to take me to find books and CD's. I can remember thumbing through the selection, reading the names of rock bands, choosing the most absurd or the most familiar. Bringing those albums home and locking myself in my room, like some ridiculous treasure hunter hoarding loot that is largely meaningless and worthless to anyone but himself. Pretending, naively, that I was the first person to ever hear these wonderful sounds and that distinct feeling that I needed to share it with everyone I knew for fear that it may disappear into thin air. Does Play Guitar sound like the Smashing Pumpkins, Pavement, Nirvana or Garbage albums I made home copies of? No...not at all. But the spirit of a new discovery is there, and maybe that's why I'm so fond of it. One day when I'm an old man, hopefully I'll pull this out and remember sitting with my friends on the cold floor of this old house listening to this album spin on the turntable. So if that holds any meaning to you I hope you enjoy this record as much as I do. Buy it you nerds!

Musically...think weirdo jangly indie rock with the catchiest hooks possibly. Halifax does it again! (I told you I can't explain it)

PS. We started a Facebook page...so go like it...or whatever.
~AB

No comments:

Post a Comment