Monday, January 10, 2011

Kevin Rips: Patterns/Falcon Five Split 12"

"We won't underestimate ourselves!"

There must be something in the water in Germany. I have posted earlier about the crazy scene happening there, one that has cost me much more than I'd care to admit in overseas mail-order in trying to collect it. Well, I've had this one for a while now, and as far as I can tell it has still yet to surface on the web. This incredible 12" pits two of the best German bands against each other. I love this stuff.

Patterns play that kind of yelpy dance-punk stuff that at one point was super popular but has seemed to have fallen out of vogue in the last few years. Now I know, you're probably thinking, "Yeah, I've heard all that before" and yeah, you probably have - except you probably haven't heard it done this well. Especially on a track like "History Man" where the drums pull out this crazy stacatto rhythm I still have yet to get a handle on in after all these years for when this first came out. I would liken Patterns to Sharp Like Knives or something like that, just so you're in the know.

Falcon Five (hilariously enough, a three-piece) share members with Shokei so you'll get the idea of where they're styled. Falcon Five, though, are a little more playful than Shokei, and are perfectly willing to reference Labyrinth without any qualms. Super intricate and interesting, but hardly alienatingly so. Like if Fugazi were more concerned with fun rather than walking margins.

Both Falcon Five and Patterns have brand new releases out so if you're at all able to, be sure to order those.

Note: I think my record skips, so if the jams jump at some point, apologies. Such is the nature of records that get played tons.
~KS

No comments:

Post a Comment