Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kevin Rips: Shut-IN - Would Never Hope Happen

"We've drawn blood again"

Somewhat inspired by the posting of The Martato's EP weeks previous, I wanted to continue to post a few more EP's. After digging through the archives, I've realized that around the early 2000's Canada produced a bunch of great bands who, in turn, produced a bunch of really great EP's. Now, I don't really know what it was about this time that produced this onslaught of the cd-EP (let alone the nature of the EP itself) - but so long as the music is of a quality like this is, who cares? This Shut-IN EP was dusted off, and, boy, am I glad I did. I forgot all about this EP, and I'm ashamed I had.

Shut-IN were from Toronto and had a few of the guys from Pecola in it, which is primarily why I had to track this down. I've tracked down everything (at least to my knowledge) that those guys had produced after the demise of Pecola. Some of them were terribly lacklustre (Picastro), some middle of the road (Bush League, Minaret), some exceptional. And that exceptional band would be Shut-IN

Perhaps because Shut-IN stayed a little closer to Pecola do I still think of this record fondly. There's fine line between the clean guitars, odd spattering of keys, ridiculously interesting drum patterns all played somewhere in the middle of post-punk/noise rock/math rock. It also kind of has that sort of off-kilter Daddy's Hands gloomy feel - though the playing is stellar. A few of these songs have been on a myriad of past mixtapes - specifically "Christmas Party" with that yell in the middle of it... golden. And the drum beat on "Forth of July" is something to behold and emulate. So go. Do.
~KS

No comments:

Post a Comment