Thursday, April 29, 2010

Planes Mistaken For Stars - Fuck With Fire

So a few weeks ago I found a box in my basement full of CD's. On top of the box was some seriously embarrassing and heinous stuff that I won't even bother mentioning...all I will say is ska...yup...ska. And not the legit stuff, but awful 3rd wave pop punk bullshit ska. Ugh. Anyways, as I dug deeper into that box, I started finding some real gems from my teenage years. I already posted The End a week ago, but I thought I'd hit on another record I found, Planes Mistaken For Stars' Fuck With Fire.

I find that bands I had to really seek out and discover for myself are a held a little closer to my heart. Planes Mistaken For Stars was a band that I had always heard people talk about at shows, but they were a huge mystery to me. If they even had a website, it was incredibly vague and only cloaked the band in further shadow. The funny thing about them is they were kind of a big deal, signed to one of the bigger punk labels out there, No Idea. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, who knows....but when I saw Fuck With Fire sitting on the shelf in the Millwoods HMV my heart skipped a beat. "How do they know about this?" I thought looking around for some resemblance of a punk kid working behind the counter. It's all so ridiculous now knowing how music stores work, but to my 17 year old self, it was like finding a fucking pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I hadn't even heard the band yet but I bought it without even thinking. (God I miss expendable income!)

Most of you have either heard this record or have stopped reading by now. All I have to say was the record lived up to all my self hype. It was dark, gritty and raw. Hidden under all the grit was this incredible sense of melody and atmosphere. I don't want to ruin it if you haven't heard it, so I'll stop blathering on. If you have heard it, you probably know what I'm talking about.
~AB

1 comment:

  1. Haha Millwoods HMV. That might've been me who ordered it in. Such a fucking good album.

    ReplyDelete