Monday, September 20, 2010

A Day in Black & White - My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys

So we just passed our 100th post last week, so I figured it was time for an overhaul of the site. Just make it look a little nicer and cleaner. Hopefully everyone digs.

I was hanging out with some pals this weekend and they both mentioned they had never heard A Day in Black & White's first full length 'My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys" so I figured it was worth posting. It's probably pretty easy to find online, but I really dig this record a lot. If you're familiar with their second full length Notes, be prepared for a bit of a surprise. Instead of short rocking post punk jams, Heroes is full of slow building and explosively frantic post rock. Honestly, I've heard people say that this album wears it's Godspeed influence on it's sleeve a bit too much, but I love it. It's no frills, no bullshit kind of music, and even the songs that are 6 minutes plus don't feel that way. It takes all the fear and suffocating density of Godspeed and combines it with the viciousness of City of Caterpillar or Funeral Diner. Six years later, this continues to be one of my favorite records.
~AB

4 comments:

  1. By far their best work. I don't even really like Notes, but this is flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dude! Thanks for all the love. Glad you're digging the blog.

    I liked Notes...I thought it was interesting, but this record is it for me. It's so vicious and huge sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, the drums sound unreal on this record. Definitely huge!
    You don't happen to have A History Of-Action In The North Atlantic do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll see if we can dig it up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete