Monday, September 6, 2010

Solemn League - The Beach/The Burden 7"

"It makes me want to run!"

I finally flipped the cords around on the backside of my stereo, so expect many new Kevin rips, with many things that don't exist on the internet thus far. That's the whole point right? And I figured I should start it all off with this 7" from Solemn League.

Solemn League are from Germany, and are a part of that same scene I've mentioned previous. There must be something in the water there, because there are at least a half dozen bands who consistently release some of the best new post-hardcore stuff anywhere in the world. I knew of them already from their split with Kids Explode, which was alright, but kind of a disappointment from both bands. But nevertheless it was good enough to give them a second chance, and I figured I should get this 7" mail-ordered all the way from Europe.

The A side "The Beach" is a mid-tempo mover, with spoken vocals, picked chords and standard rhythms. But the definite jam is "The Burden" - a slow sort-of groover. Just the decending discordant chords from the two guitars; it's a beautiful thing. A mix-tape track for sure. These songs might be just be a little too influenced by the mid-90's emo-indie-rock like Braid or Promise Ring or something like that (at least for my liking), but I think these songs stray from the cheesiness that so often occurs, and at the very least don't sound dated. It's like if dudes from Kids Explode or Shokei wanted to let things breathe a little more. Spin it.
~KS

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and loved the Shokei and Solemn League posts. Please post more bands from Germany that are similar to these. I write for a blog too. Check it out. www.elementaryrevolt.blogspot.com I did a Radio Burroughs and Pete The Pirate Squid post. Similar to Shokei and Solemn League.

    ReplyDelete