Sunday, February 27, 2011

Segwei - Dancin' on the Verge of Twilight

~AB: In my infinite stumble through life I accidentally put this as my post when in reality it's a KS joint. Apologies to him. Also, we'll no longer be listing KS's post as 'Kevin Rips'. That was always a special guest post type thing, and since Kev is a full on poster now, it seemed redundant. Thanks.

"Yet motion hinders devotion"

I have just been given word that Segwei are hard at work on their first LP as we speak, so I figured this would be the perfect time to up their first EP

I had the distinct pleasure of catching Segwei play in Tokyo - and truth be told, being able to catch Segwei was a large part in determining the scheduling of my trip. I managed to find the venue they were playing at thanks to googletranslate, but arrived early. I sat on a curb and waited, when after a while one guy came up and as he passed, noticed the Rites of Spring shirt I was wearing. "I like your shirt," he said to me in English. "Who you here to see?" I told him I came to see Segwei, and with marked excitement he exclaimed, "Segwei my band!" And thus, friendship was born!

Segwei are highly influenced by Revolution Summer-era Dischord (and I know for a FACT that the guitarist has Dag Nasty records in his collection!) and are pretty much the modern Japanese equivalent to Rites of Spring. Lyrically, Yookie's vocals are incredibly evocative and poetic, and considering English is not his first language, it's really incredible that his wordplay and use of English is more inventive than the large majority of vocalists that grew up with English tongues. The show was incredible, just super passionate and exuberant. It was a wonder to see.

I can't really describe how this band makes me feel. All I can say is Segwei are one of my favourite bands, and I feel blessed to share them with you.

"But I feel so alive"
~KS

2 comments:

  1. Awesome lyrics, awesome songs. Keep the D.C-style stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I downloaded this back when you uploaded it. iTunes says I had one listen of it.. But I think it must be mistaken because I'm sure had I heard this I'd have been playing it a lot more often. Just randomly saw "Segwei" with Japanese characters for an album title in my music today while updating my iPod and curiously clicked it. Figured I must have gotten it from GGS. Ha. Love it.

    ReplyDelete