Thursday, March 17, 2011

snic - Eponymous 12"

It's amazing when a band can invoke a sense of dread and terror in their audience. With a band like The End it comes from the atmosphere their music creates, or a band like Black Magic Pyramid, from the pure aggression of their live show. snic is a band that creates this feeling through uncertainty. Now full disclosure, I know the 5 gents who make up snic. I have played in bands with all of them and I consider them all good friends. I trust them individually. As a band though, it's a totally different case. I DO NOT TRUST SNIC. While attending snic shows I've been showered with cooked pasta and meal worms. I've been kicked, pushed and attacked. I've been made to believe I had enrolled myself in a Heaven's Gate-esque cult. Hell I've even been scared they drugged me. You really don't know what to expect when seeing this band. It's this uncertainty that makes this band so terrifying and so much fun to watch.

The problem with bands with crazy live shows is it's always debatable whether recorded material will hold up to the live version. How do you capture so much insanity onto tape? Well if you're snic, you just played fucked up and insane music. Seriously, this album makes me so anxious. Just when I feel like I'm comfortable with a tiny little part they're playing, they do a complete 180° turn and go in an entirely different direction. It's a schizophrenic mix of hardcore, metalcore and weirdo (dare I say) jazz. It's a mess of distortion, dissonance and banshee like screams. You truly cannot categorize this band. Again with the uncertainty.

Now technically speaking, this is a 6 song EP, but the way it was recorded, splitting it up into songs seemed like a crime, so I've uploaded as Side A and Side B. Make sure you listen to the end of Side B for a strangely beautiful and blissful moment of closure that feels like an oddly perfect ending to an absolutely devastating and vicious record. Buy this so you can tell your kids about it when you're old and grey.
~AB

1 comment: