Friday, April 1, 2011

Ghost Throats #2: Book of Caverns - s/t Cassette

AB: Second post of the Ghost Throats series. I'm almost a bit embarrassed to post this. Huge thanks to Kevin for the great post and kind words. Shucks.

As they inevitably must, bands break up, bands reshuffle, bands begin anew.

Book of Caverns play post-hardcore with leanings into post-rock territory. Usually that means songs that go forever, and eventually nowhere ~ but in this case it means something far greater than your modern-day Envy. Yeah, they've shuffled members like crazy and yeah, they have no real sense of how good they are. But truly they have grown into something great. I've watched Book grow from a band unsure of where they're headed into one of the best bands in Alberta. And I feel like Book are only just hitting their stride. This next year is going to be the Year of the Cavern. The musicianship is impeccable. Andrew is one of the most unique vocalists (not to mention one of the best lyricists) in the genre (let alone our little corner of it). The live show is chill-inducing.

Sure, you may say I'm too close to this band to be allowed to write this, but I don't care. I have no choice but to get close. I admire this band so much.

A few copies of this tape still remain at BART headquarters. Don't sleep on this.
~KS

1 comment: