Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ghost Throats #5: Maus - s/t

AB: The photo above was taken by Sean Decory. He's an amazing photographer. Check him out here.

"So if they speak up we scream back, if they threaten us we stand fast"

Being involved with a scene like hardcore can be a tough and somewhat taxing endeavor. It is a scene that attracts some of the best people you will ever meet, but unfortunately at times, some less desirable. People who will take the anger and aggression of the music and use it to destroy what we all work so hard to build. People who will take and take and take and never give back. People who don't share the same passion and urgency as the music warrants and deserve. People like this make loving hardcore difficult and on my worst nights cause me to question my involvement...and worst of all people like this influence me and make act in ways that I less than proud of.

I'm not airing my grievances without a point, so bear with me. Maus is a band that makes me fall back in love with hardcore. When I feel discouraged, burnt out, or overly negative I remember that Maus is playing hardcore with intensity, passion, honesty and most of all heart and I feel reinvigorated. Maus gets it. Vocalist Doug (now pulling double duty as bass player as well) writes intelligent and deeply affecting songs that force you to listen. Songs that are meant to be screamed until hoarse. Songs that are meant to be shared and discussed. He isn't afraid to say what he feels and call out the bullshit he sees and it's something I respect and appreciate in a vocalist. Musically Maus is more complex than the pissed off d-beat hardcore band they originally set out to be, incorporating elements of all facets of hardcore, punk and emo to create something that I really feel anyone into punk rock can enjoy and appreciate.

So I guess the question is does my friendship and obvious bias of this band sway my opinion of them? Probably. But it also goes to show that music played with honesty and passion will always be relevant and important. Do not lose faith in hardcore, be inspired by it. Play harder, scream louder, stay positive!

So far this has only be released as a tour-exclusive CDR, but will hopefully see the vinyl treatment one day soon. Cross your fingers. Download this from their bandcamp.
~AB

No comments:

Post a Comment