Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Soft Floors - S/T

Soft Floors - S/T
Soft Floors was a great band from the Toronto area…unfortunately I believe they broke up. Their album is available for free in a few places on the internet, but I figured I’d post it for anyone who hasn’t heard it before.

Soft Floors seemed to be a couple years ahead of the groovy technical emo stuff that is gaining popularity right now. (Native, The Reptilian, Grown Ups). The music on this record is awesome. Very driving yet dynamic post rock influenced emo. The bass has an amazing tone on this record, and definitely keeps the music moving. (I’m starting to realize I’m a bass man…hmmm) The guitar work is also pretty terrific, with the guitarist knowing when he should be hitting hard, or holding back and letting the drum and bass section do their thing. You can really tell this was a band that really knew how to read each other, and I’m always bummed that I never saw them live. The vocals on this record are the only thing I can see holding people back from really enjoying it. I personally love them, but I understand where people may not. Shouted and a bit shrill, they remind me a lot of older Sinaloa or North of America….intense, without screaming. Love it!
~AB

2 comments:

  1. These guys have killer album art too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They went on hiatus and eventually broke up when Nate (drums) moved to Montreal for school.

    Ryan (guitar) went on to play in the Love and Terror Cult and has a solo project called Animal Faces.

    Paul (bass) went on to play guitar in We Were Former.

    ReplyDelete