Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Catlin Elm - s/t

A few weeks ago Kev posted Hawkes' self titled EP. As it was totally new to me, I jammed the hell out of it and grew to love it quite a bit. I was super bummed when I found out that they didn't exist any more—thankfully with most punk rock bands, a band break up is just an opportunity to try something new.

The vocalist (I'm not sure if that's the only member) from Hawkes moved onto The Catlin Elm and I'm really happy to say it's definitely as jam worthy as Hawkes is. The distinctive voice is still there and the songs are still just as urgent, but I feel like The Catlin Elm has a bit more of a mid 90's vibe going on, calling on influences like Heroin or Portraits of Past. The songs are melodic and driving and played with a sense of importance and honesty. I really don't know what else to say about it...this is the kind of stuff that makes me love the genre! It's well written and played with a great deal of passion. Not much else you can ask for.
~AB

1 comment:

  1. A split 7inch is coming sometimes soon and i can tell you that the two songs that are gonna be on it are AWESOME. Vocalist was in Hawkes. doing drums now playing bass & singing. Him and the guitarist used to play togheter in "scream Baby scream". The drummer also beats in Expectorated Sequence. All 3 of them were in a band called "A Quiet Night..." back in the days.

    ReplyDelete