Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wrought: Ironsmile - s/t 7"

Sometimes when you dig things out of dollar bins, you end up with gold - not most of the time, rarely really, but it happens. I pulled this 7" out long before I knew what it was. I bought it 'cause it looked emo - little did I know it was one of the best pieces of Canadian emo ever put to wax.

Wrought: Ironsmile came from the same scene in Victoria from the early 90's that also spurned Render Useless and Republic of Freedom Fighters, and while those contemporary bands are certainly more notable, and Render Useless likely a better band as a whole, I'm still convinced this is the best recorded moment of that entire scene. Wrought: Ironsmile play that sort of style of emo that begins on picked guitar chords and spoken vocals that builds into epic climax punctuated by tortured screams - similar to Indian Summer or early Policy of Three. No, they might not have been the only band playing this style, but dare I say, at least on this 7", they do it better than the touchstones. There's this moment on "Valentine's Day" where there's this somewhat failed attempt at harmonies that end up being off-key and perfect. "Twenty-one and Counting" has long been a mix-tape staple for me, one that every few years gets dug out - scream and scout interplay over this interesting chorus melody.

I'm astounded that this band is never cited or used as a touchstone for people - or even rediscovered in a way that Render Useless and Republic of Freedom Fighters has been. Lost Classic.
~KS

1 comment:

  1. I played with these guys and Render Useless at a 'hardcore fest' years ago in Winnipeg. They were way better recorded than live. The 7" is amazing though.

    ReplyDelete