Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ghost Throats #8: Coalspur - Booze Cruise

Funny story. I had never even heard of Coalspur until last year's Ghost Throats. Three days before the show was set to happen I started to hear murmurs of this great emo band from St. Alberta...and after hearing them I knew they had to play. After a long evening of serious Facebook sleuthing (see also: Creeping) I managed to track down the members of the band and 3 days later they were on the bill. The internet is a horrifying place where privacy goes to die.

Coalspur is a young band, and like most young bands, are still growing. Unlike most young bands though, Coalspur is growing at an almost uncontrollable rate. Each time I hear a new jam from them or see them live, they gotten infinitely better than the last, which is a feat given how much I've enjoyed them each time. They play their take on the modern screamo stuff that is super popular right now (skram? skramz? Emoz?), but with just enough of a mid 90's vibe to keep old men like myself interested. I really dig the vocal delivery on these songs...not quite screamed, not quite yelled, just a really great mix in between. The lyrics are well written, and you can tell this band knows how to write a great song. Despite being relatively young, I feel like these guys have probably been playing together for a long time.

Booze Cruise is a short 3 song EP, but the three songs are memorable and enjoyable and definitely repeat jammin' worthy. I'm super excited to see what this band does next. It's always great to watch a band like this grow.
~AB

No comments:

Post a Comment